(23) The people were to gather together regularly throughout the year. What was the purpose of each of the holy gatherings (or feasts) that God appointed? How might each one point to Jesus?
- Sabbath (Matthew 11:28-30) –
- Passover / Unleavened Bread (I Corinthians 5:7) –
- First Fruits (I Corinthians 15:20-23) –
- Weeks / Pentecost (Acts 2) –
- Trumpets (I Thessalonians 4:13-18) –
- Day of Atonement (Hebrews 9:12, 24-26) –
- Booths/Tabernacles –
How might the Lord’s Supper fulfill many of the same purposes of worship for us today?
(24) Worship includes not only public celebrations, but how we live our daily lives. What do you learn about our speech (v10-16)? What would it look like to apply this principle to all of our lives?
(25) What was the purpose of the Sabbath year and the year of Jubilee (v4, 10)? How does the year of Jubilee point to Jesus (Luke 4:16-21)?
What was the reasoning behind these special years (v2, 23, 42, 55)? What do these reasons suggest about how we should live (see also Psalm 24:1)? Be specific.
(27) This chapter deals with voluntary and required gifts. Why is giving an important part of worship?